Sunday, January 13, 2008

Setting up a Home Media Server

Well, I never logged into Kazaa or Napster or any of that, but now that the remodel is coming towards an end I started to think about our Music and Media systems.

It all started w/ the I-Pod that came w/ our new car last year...and now I want to get the stereo system working and I am tired of the mess of all the CD's can cassettes and all that. Unfortunately, the laptop at the stereo after all it is not the best place for making MP3 files on the fly, why not a SERVER.

Enter the realm of "what to do"... I ended up finding references to a few shareware servers, and I have been testing them out with pretty good results. J-River is about to restart this computer. TwonkyVision On2Share All eventually work with both Windows Media Player (9 and up), as well as Win Amp.. On2 Share is the Cheapest, but somewhat most valuable, as it gets Win2K WMP9 working (as well as WinAmp). Twonky has been working as a server (though it has messed somewhat w/ ITunes functioning). J-River, initially would not download, but I found out it was our Cable Modem connection,,, now it looks great.


OK, Rebooted.
JRiver Has a wonderful Interface on the Server.... I just can't find the server from any of the clients. Aargh.

One note: Get Primsleur Language CD's and load them in your media library. This will give you tremendous potential for studying in a more natural environment.... do so when no one else is around...

For now: Twonky Vision is working as a server... On2Share also seems to work as a less elegant server... but does combine Server and Client capabilies.

One irritation w/ On2Share.. It has a 14 Day trial period that has seemingly expired in 2 days... Aargh.

Now back to the client setup.. How can I find JRiver... I like the server interface. It is "ALL" about interface these days isn't it.

Other work to do really... and it won't be the client.

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment