Sunday, January 13, 2008

Media Client s WMP9, WMP10 w/ Twonky Media Server (UpNP)

I have been working on Implementing Client and Media Server subjects at home. Basically I want to have one (small) library, and access it from other points in the house. I have researched the situation in perspective to the hardware I ALREADY HAVE and have found some good ways to get it done.

UpNP appears to be the defacto standard for sharing Media at home. (Universal Plug and Play) and it seems built into Windows Media Services as well as Internet Radios, NAS Media Servers etc. That said I am a Win2K user most of the time. UpNP is not native or seemingly supported in Win2K by Microsoft. This means I can't use any version of WMP above 9... so that is what I am using. It took a bit, but it is working quite well now that I have done some work, which is cool. The trick, in general is getting a Server and Installing On2Share Pro for WMP and/or WinAmp (not On2WMP)... This brings UpNP to wmp9 (10 also?)

WMP 11 has built in support (they say) for UPNP. WMP 10 on my XP laptop seemed easier to control than WMP11 did, so I downgraded to there.

Maybe I was hasty, and quite possibly, I got the UPNP support for WMP10 in the deal as I don't think I could access the media servers before that (need to verify this). This really seems like it became a Windows Service, so if I could just get such a service on Win2K.

But WMP 9 works very well w/ UPNP if On2Share Pro is loaded. It basically does the same thing as the Windows WMP service in XP... maybe better. Right now, I see that WMP10 can't read the directory of songs wll, the way that WMP9 w/ On2Share. It can "invoke" the server still. I now need to figure out how to access the directory tree in WMP10...

So back to Win2K. I really like WMP 9 on this machine as well as 10 on XP... they seem identical from first view.

Probably need to upgrade to XP on more machines... but it all ads up. I have it on 2 now. That is enough. It is not the interface, but what you get done that is important.

All for a little music..

No comments:

Post a Comment