Saturday, November 23, 2013

PogoPlug is great if you don't like speed...

We found and have found practical PogoPlug www.pogoplug.com which lets you build a personal/family cloud.

The device itself that started us allows you to attach to your network, attach a few External Hard Drives and be able to access the files from anywhere  (passwords etc all required).

Well recently they hooked me for their "Unlimited Cloud" which basically lets you store files to the PogoPlug servers.  It is SLOW as HELL to store to them. 

But I was also finding just now that our DSL network was really slow at the house.  I did a simple Speed Test  (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/) and I was getting between .15 and .25 mb sec download and about .07 to .1  (deimals there).

Then I unplugged the Pogo Plug and speed jumped to 1.25 mb Download and .75mb Upload.

I then replugged PogoPlug and it slowed down again.

Logged into PogoPlug: View (their website) and I turned OFF  Cloud Sync.  Speeds went back up.

Cloud Sync theoretically backs up your PogoPlug local devices to their cloud.  (I am sure the NSA has invested in this)...  In theory that is a good idea as redundency is the key to security relative to hardware failure.  However, a month later there is Total 182 GB in my Cloud, while the device it wants to back up has 782 GB.  I don't think the Backups will ever be complete.

Old adage is, don't move lots of data far.  I will work a way to backup each drive locally and perhaps turn Cloud Sync on at night sometime (to fill up the pipes and pogoplug servers and likely to aid the NSA in filling their own).

Don't move data too far.  Turning off again...  and I just visiteand they are selling "safe plug" to further fill the pipes.... I'm going to do some wood work now.

No comments:

Post a Comment